Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Nothing is better than homemade pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top. It is a dessert that brings back warm memories of family holiday dinners. Pumpkin pie is traditionally made in the fall when the pumpkins are ripe but it can be baked up any time of the year with canned pumpkin. If you haven’t tried making homemade pumpkin pie yet, it’s really simple to make! You’ll find a traditional pumpkin pie recipe here as well as a low-fat one so everyone can have their pie and eat it too. Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete unless you have pumpkin pie!
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete unless you have a slice of homemade pumpkin pie!
Watkins Traditional Homemade Pumpkin Pie
This old fashioned or traditional pumpkin pie recipe is a family favorite for many people. This recipe used to be right on the Watkins pumpkin pie spice label.
- 1 cup/250 mL sugar
- 1 tbsp/15 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL salt
- 1 tbsp/15 mL Watkins Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups/375 mL mashed, cooked or canned pumpkin
- 1 cup/250 mL evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch/23-cm pastry pie shell
- Combine sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice and salt; beat in eggs. Stir in pumpkin and milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 400ºF/205ºC for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Keep refrigerated. Makes 10 servings.
Watkins Low-Fat Pumpkin Pie
If you are watching your calories or fat intake this recipe is for you. To reduce the calories and fat even more, omit the pie shell!
- 1 can (15 oz/425 g) pumpkin
- 1 can (14 oz/396 g) fat-free sweetened condensed skimmed milk
- 4 egg whites
- 2-1/2 tsp/12.5 mL Watkins Pumpkin Spice
- 1/4 tsp/1.2 mL salt
- One 9-inch/23-cm unbaked pastry pie shell
Directions: Preheat oven to 425ºF/220ºC. Combine pumpkin, condensed milk, egg whites, Pumpkin Pie Spice, and salt; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes, reduce heat and bake at 350ºF/180ºC for an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted 1-inch/2.5-cm from edge comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Garnish with reduced-fat whipped topping if desired. Keep refrigerated. Makes 10 servings.
Watkins Pumpkin Pie Spice
Watkins changed the name of our fantastic pumpkin pie spice to pumpkin spice because you can use it for more than baking pie! If you run out or live in Canada you can easily make you own! Here’s how to make a close substitution:
- 3 teaspoons Watkins Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Watkins Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Watkins Cloves, ground
- 3/4 teaspoon Watkins Ginger
Directions: Mix spices altogether thoroughly, use in any recipe that calls for Watkins pumpkin pie spice. Store in a tightly closed jar or spice tin.
Here’s where I get the best pumpkin spices!
If you enjoyed these recipes for homemade pumpkin pie please comment below and share them with your friends!