Moist Delicious Roast Turkey Breast
Turkey is a healthy dinner option but it’s a lot of work to prepare an entire bird and then, what do you do with all the leftovers? If you have a smaller crowd to feed or prefer only the white meat this recipe for moist and delicious roast turkey breast is perfect. This recipe is also low fat and because it’s white meat, it contains fewer calories per serving compared to dark meat. So it can be a healthier choice for some people.
To make this recipe you’ll need an oven cooking bag or a casserole or roasting pan with a lid. A meat thermometer is suggested but I’ll be honest, I’ve never used one.
- 1 five-pound turkey breast, skin removed
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 ribs celery, halved
- 1-1/2 Tbs Watkins Lemon Pepper
- 2 tsp Watkins Garlic Granules
- 2 tsp Watkins Onion Granules
- 1 tsp Watkins Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Watkins Paprika
- Watkins Cooking Spray
- Rinse turkey breast, pat dry with paper towel.
- Place onion and celery in breast cavity.
- Spray turkey breast with cooking spray. Combine remaining ingredients and rub into
- turkey breast.
- Place in oven cooking bag prepared per package directions; place in shallow baking dish. Roast at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Cut a small slit in top of bag and insert a meat thermometer.
- Roast an additional hour or until the thermometer registers 185 deg. F/85 deg. C.
- Transfer to large platter.
- If desired, thicken drippings in bag to make a gravy to accompany sliced turkey.
Moist Roast Turkey Breast
1 five-pound turkey breast, skin removed
1 medium onion, quartered
2 ribs celery, halved
1-1/2 Tbs Watkins Lemon Pepper
2 tsp Watkins Garlic Granules
2 tsp Watkins Onion Granules
1 tsp Watkins Poultry Seasoning
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp Watkins Paprika
Watkins Cooking Spray
Directions: Rinse turkey breast and pat dry with paper towel. Spray turkey breast with cooking spray. Combine remaining spices and rub seasoning into turkey breast. Place onion and celery in breast cavity and place everything inside an oven cooking bag prepared per package directions; place in shallow baking dish.
Roast at 325 degrees fahrenheit for 1 hour. Cut a small slit in the top of the cooking bag and insert a meat thermometer. Roast for an additional hour or until the thermometer registers 185 deg. F/85 deg. C.
Transfer the cooked meat to a large platter and allow it to rest for a few minutes. Discard onion and celery.
To make gravy, pour drippings from the oven bag into a saucepan, whisk in approximately 2 tablespoons of flour, bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with sliced turkey. Makes 8 servings.
Notes from the kitchen:
If you don’t have an oven cooking bag you can cook the turkey breast in a tightly covered casserole or roaster. White meat tends to be dryer, keeping the meat covered while roasting will result in a moist roast turkey breast.
If you aren’t worried about fat content, cover the top with a couple of pieces of bacon. When meat is done, place under the broiler for a few minutes to brown. (watch carefully)
Serve with mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and steamed fall vegetables. Delicious!